Monday, June 26, 2006

UPSA Professional Selling Ethics Framework


This article has been located to a new site. New Article Location

The United Professional Sales Association (UPSA) has unveiled their long-awaited Professional Selling Ethics Framework for world-wide release and incorporation into the UPSA Certification Program for salespeople. I reviewed their 12 Commandments and threw up. Not at all of them, but certainly some of them take the power right out of the salesperson's hands. Like, "The Right to a Fair Price" and "The Right to Confer". Why can't I have the highest price is I'm offering something I think is far more valuable? Why can't I get someone to make a decision if a decision is what was expected? And the one I hate the most, "The Right to Information", by itself is OK, but when you add item a..."in the manner that you request", it makes me wonder why we spend all of our time training salespeople to ask lots of questions instead of presenting information. What do you think?
(c) Copyright 2006 Objective Management Group, Inc.

1 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 04:09:00 PM, Anonymous JRDickens said...

I think this might be a good start. It is a bit on the naive side for a lot of the items so it could use some refinement.

At issue is the term "ethics" which I think has been a misused in many cases. While the salesperson certainly should maintain a high level of ethical conduct when conversing with prospects and customers, I do not think that items such as pricing can be tied to a particular ethical behavior.

Our jobs are to get to the best value positions for our customers and employers. By using the word "price" in a document about ethics, the UPSA seems to be attempting to commodotize most offerings.

An "ethical" solution is one where the customer thinks he has gotten his money's worth, regardless of your competitive position relative to the price.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home